We fall in love all over again with the British Shorthair
With their sweet expression, charming nature and teddy-bear-like appearance, it is all too easy to fall in love with the British Shorthair cat. Their loyal, affectionate nature makes them the perfect companion to cuddle up with, and they form such strong bonds they quickly become part of the family.
Here are some interesting things you may not know about these beautiful felines:
The nation’s favourite
Not only are they one of our favourite cats, they are the UK’s most popular pedigree breed. So much so, that each year a quarter of all kittens registered with the GCCF are British Shorthairs. That’s an awful lot of cuteness.
That is some thick fur
By just looking at them you can see they have amazingly thick fur, but it may surprise you to know that they actually have more fur per square inch than any other cat. No wonder we can’t stop stroking them.
The big daddy
A blue British Shorthair named Brynbuboo Little Monarch was the first cat to be given The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy (GCCF) title of Grand Champion. His popularity as a stud now means that virtually every British Shorthair alive today can be traced back to this one cat. Although the breed includes all major colour and pattern groups, it is still the stunning blue that is considered to be the most desirable.
A colourful history
The origin of the breed as we know it, dates all the way back to 1870. Their history goes much further back than that though. The Romans introduced a large number of cats to the country to keep the rodents at bay. These bred with the native wildcats, producing the Shorthaired cat, which would eventually become the British Shorthair we know and love.
Adventures in Wonderland
Sir John Tenniel based his illustration of the Cheshire cat in Lewis Carroll’s book, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland on a British Shorthair. The grinning cat is our favourite literary feline, though we thankfully haven’t met one that disappears quite like him.
15 February 2017
- Not all heroes wear capes! Why these top dogs have been nominated for HiLife... 21/01/19
- HiLife’s pawsome pet food range recognised in Grocer’s Top Products Survey 2018 13/12/18
- Top dog friendly holiday rentals for your summer break 20/08/18
- Blood Donor Dogs: Is Your Dog a Canine Hero? 30/07/18
- Is your cat expecting kittens? How to tell if a cat is pregnant 10/07/18
- The best hypoallergenic dog breeds for allergy sufferers 5/07/18
- Our favourite famous dog movies 5/07/18
- How to make friends with your cat (and become their favourite human) 14/05/18
- Running is more fun with your best friend in tow 19/04/18
- Healthy Pet - Happy Pet! 3/04/18