Preparing your home for a new puppy
Bringing a new puppy home for the first time is really exciting, but it’s important to make sure your house is prepared ready for the new arrival.
In all the excitement, some very important essentials can get overlooked. So here’s our guide to help first-time pet owners prepare for that furry bundle of fun.
Puppy-proof your home. Puppies can easily squeeze into small gaps so make sure you keep an eye on them. Make sure there are no dangling electrical wires or window blind pulleys hanging down where they might get their head tangled.
Although you may be happy to let your puppy curl up on the sofa or your bed, it’s important that they have a place they can call their own. Choose a warm, quiet spot where they will feel safe and secure. Dogs often sleep for 12 hours a day so a comfy bed is a must. There are many different types of bed and your local pet retailer will be able to help you choose the right one. Just make sure it’s washable…
Make sure you buy the right food with the correct nutrients to help your puppy grow healthily. Try our Nature's Essentials complete puppy food. It’s delicious and nutritious and you won’t find any artificial additives or unnecessary fillers such as soya or cereals, which could trigger allergies. And, don’t forget to make sure that food and water bowls are the right height for your puppy’s little legs.
Toys are a great way to help your new puppy learn new tastes and smells. They are also a great way to bond with your puppy through play. Make sure any toys are puppy-safe and check them regularly for damage.
Take your puppy to the vet for a check up within a couple of days. They will advise about essential vaccinations and worming and flea treatments, to prevent them catching anything nasty. Your vet can also tell you about neutering to prevent unwanted litters, and micro-chipping to help reunite you with your puppy if it becomes lost.
Let’s hope you won’t need it but, if your puppy becomes ill, it can be a very expensive, as well as an emotional time. Investing in good pet insurance will give you peace of mind.
That’s all folks! Have lots of fun with your puppy!
3 June 2014
- Not all heroes wear capes! Why these top dogs have been nominated for HiLife... 21/01/19
- HiLife’s pawsome pet food range recognised in Grocer’s Top Products Survey 2018 13/12/18
- Top dog friendly holiday rentals for your summer break 20/08/18
- Blood Donor Dogs: Is Your Dog a Canine Hero? 30/07/18
- Is your cat expecting kittens? How to tell if a cat is pregnant 10/07/18
- The best hypoallergenic dog breeds for allergy sufferers 5/07/18
- Our favourite famous dog movies 5/07/18
- How to make friends with your cat (and become their favourite human) 14/05/18
- Running is more fun with your best friend in tow 19/04/18
- Healthy Pet - Happy Pet! 3/04/18