How to make friends with your cat (and become their favourite human)
Whatever people say about dogs being more loyal, we know our cats love us. We only have to look at the way they welcome us when we walk through the door, or snuggle up to us on the sofa, to see their devotion . . . and we’re sure it’s not just because they’re ready for dinner!
Cats clearly seem able to form a strong bond with us, when we live alone with them. But how does it change in larger households? Do they really have a favourite person?
While there is no scientific proof to date, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence from pet owners. We’ve all seen, for instance, playful kittens drawn to those who will give them the most attention, and elderly or timid cats gravitate straight for someone with a soothing and reassuring personality – although there are always exceptions!
If you want to be number one in your kitty’s life, observing how they act around you is a good place to start. You can promote positive behaviour with regular play and exercise, by providing a safe place to hide and ensuring their daily essentials are within easy reach.
Like humans, cats like having their own space, so don’t be tempted to shower them with too many cuddles. Be respectful and let them approach you, giving them the option to retreat to a secure place when they want to. Giving them an occasional treat and spending quality time playing together are also good ways to develop a lasting relationship.
Remember that a cat’s body language and facial expression tells you a lot about how they are feeling. Jumping up and/or a quivering tail normally means they are pleased to see you, whereas crouching sometimes suggests they are nervous. The best way to build trust with our felines, in our opinion, is to be sensitive to their behaviour and respond appropriately.
Of course, our cats have their own unique personalities, and this is why we love them so much. There’s really no telling who is going to be their favourite, but by creating an environment where they feel safe and comfortable, you should have no problem winning their affections.
14 May 2018
- Not all heroes wear capes! Why these top dogs have been nominated for HiLife... 21/01/19
- HiLife’s pawsome pet food range recognised in Grocer’s Top Products Survey 2018 13/12/18
- Top dog friendly holiday rentals for your summer break 20/08/18
- Blood Donor Dogs: Is Your Dog a Canine Hero? 30/07/18
- Is your cat expecting kittens? How to tell if a cat is pregnant 10/07/18
- The best hypoallergenic dog breeds for allergy sufferers 5/07/18
- Our favourite famous dog movies 5/07/18
- How to make friends with your cat (and become their favourite human) 14/05/18
- Running is more fun with your best friend in tow 19/04/18
- Healthy Pet - Happy Pet! 3/04/18