Could HiLife Yentyl be the UK's oldest dog?
Here at HiLife, we love to hear your quirky pet stories or receive pictures of your best friend. But one letter really caught our eye recently. It came from Charles and Marlene Martin, from Bude in Cornwall, who told us about their dog Yentyl. According to his owners, Yenty has enjoyed HiLife food since he was a pup which is not all that unusual – until we found out that, at 23-years-old, he could be one of the oldest dogs in the UK.
Charles and Marlene welcomed young Yentyl, a Jack Russell collie-cross, into their home just after they got married 24 years ago. Named after the 1983 Barbara Streisand film of the same name, he is set to celebrate his 24th birthday in January, which makes him at least 106 in dog years.
The RSPCA says that both Jack Russells and collies live for an average of 13 years – which Yentyl has exceeded by more than a decade.
Over the years, the lovable pooch has tried different brands of dog food but HiLife remains a firm favourite.
Charles said: “We have tried different types but he won’t eat anything else. It doesn’t matter what flavour it is because he loves them all.”
With his bright eyes and glossy fur, it is no surprise that Yentyl won nine rosettes at dog shows, including three first place prizes. Despite his advanced age, he is full energy and has only been to the vet twice in his lifetime.
Charles said: “He’s very placid and really good around people. He has won rosettes for everything from having the healthiest eyes to the waggiest tail.
“He is a playful dog and still loves chasing the rabbits around the field.”
At 23-years-old, Yentyl is thought to be one of the country’s oldest dogs. Other contenders include Meg, a Jack Russell who celebrated her 25th birthday last year and Daisy, also a Jack Russell, who was 23 when she died.
According to the Guinness Book of Records, the world’s oldest dog was a cattle dog called Bluey who lived in Australia and was 29 when he died in 1939.
To celebrate Yentyl’s landmark birthday, we thought there was nothing more appropriate than to send him a case of his favourite FEED ME! dog food, together with our best wishes for his special celebration.
10 November 2015
- Not all heroes wear capes! Why these top dogs have been nominated for HiLife... 21/01/19
- HiLife’s pawsome pet food range recognised in Grocer’s Top Products Survey 2018 13/12/18
- Top dog friendly holiday rentals for your summer break 20/08/18
- Blood Donor Dogs: Is Your Dog a Canine Hero? 30/07/18
- Is your cat expecting kittens? How to tell if a cat is pregnant 10/07/18
- The best hypoallergenic dog breeds for allergy sufferers 5/07/18
- Our favourite famous dog movies 5/07/18
- How to make friends with your cat (and become their favourite human) 14/05/18
- Running is more fun with your best friend in tow 19/04/18
- Healthy Pet - Happy Pet! 3/04/18