Blood Donor Dogs: Is Your Dog a Canine Hero?
As dog owners we strive to keep our dogs happy and healthy. But could our dog help save another dog's life?
From car accidents to clotting problems or dogs needing surgery for cancer, there’s a myriad of reasons why donated canine blood saves lives. No-one ever plans for their dog to need a blood transfusion...but it happens.
Thankfully, there are heroic hounds out there, who donate their blood to help others. But here's the rub. Most of those dog donors are pets, just like ours.
Donor dogs give blood at their local participating vet clinic or doggy donation center. Their blood sample is then submitted to a charity, such as the Pet Blood Bank, which supplies blood (free of charge) to sick or injured dogs.
If our own dog was in need of blood, we wouldn't hesitate to accept a life-giving donation. But the circle needs squaring with regular donations from healthy dogs, such as our own. Could our dogs be a canine blood donor?
To help us decide if this is something our dog could do, Doggy Dream Team have teamed up with the charity, Pet Blood Bank to spread the word. They have put together this pawsome infographic below explaining just how vital this selfless gift of blood is to dogs in need. We wanted to share it with you.
Image creative license to DoggyDreamTeam ©
30 July 2018
- Not all heroes wear capes! Why these top dogs have been nominated for HiLife... 21/01/19
- HiLife’s pawsome pet food range recognised in Grocer’s Top Products Survey 2018 13/12/18
- Top dog friendly holiday rentals for your summer break 20/08/18
- Blood Donor Dogs: Is Your Dog a Canine Hero? 30/07/18
- Is your cat expecting kittens? How to tell if a cat is pregnant 10/07/18
- The best hypoallergenic dog breeds for allergy sufferers 5/07/18
- Our favourite famous dog movies 5/07/18
- How to make friends with your cat (and become their favourite human) 14/05/18
- Running is more fun with your best friend in tow 19/04/18
- Healthy Pet - Happy Pet! 3/04/18