Black Cats and Selfies? It's a cat...astrophe!
Did we really just read an article that told us more black cats are being abandoned each year because they don’t look so good in selfies?? Yes, I’m afraid we just did…
According to the RSPCA, 70 per cent of more than 1,000 cats in care in Britain are black or black and white and now, these poor pussies are facing a new challenge in the selfie-obsessed world of social media.
The disproportionate number of black cats being abandoned each year is apparently partly down to them being less aesthetically pleasing in the eyes of some owners. Scandalous!
In the article published in The Telegraph, a rescue centre owner from Nottingham reported it was “full to bursting" with black cats and that people are just not interested in them. Apparently ginger is the most popular! That makes a change…
Black cats have suffered from an image problem since the Middle Ages, when they were first associated with witchcraft. More recently, most people consider them good luck but now, their seemingly un-photogenicity is a growing problem.
Posing for selfies with cats is extremely popular on social media sites such as Instagram and Facebook. However, it seems black cats are harder to tell apart than cats with more distinctive markings and that black animals tend not to photograph as well. We’ll say it again… Scandalous!
Animal charity Blue Cross said it had seen a 65 per cent rise in the number of black cats it took in each year between 2007 and 2013, while a north-east London branch of the RSPCA said it sees less enquiries on Facebook about black cats.
It said some photos of a single eight-week-old tabby kitten on its Facebook page prompted around 30 calls in two days from people keen to adopt him. However, the charity received only one call in relation to the black kittens which were posted for re-homing on the same day.
Well we LOVE our black cats and we’re sure you love yours too. So let’s buck the trend. Please send us your black cat selfies and we’ll share them on our Facebook and Twitter pages. Black cats rule!
3 September 2014
- Not all heroes wear capes! Why these top dogs have been nominated for HiLife... 21/01/19
- HiLife’s pawsome pet food range recognised in Grocer’s Top Products Survey 2018 13/12/18
- Top dog friendly holiday rentals for your summer break 20/08/18
- Blood Donor Dogs: Is Your Dog a Canine Hero? 30/07/18
- Is your cat expecting kittens? How to tell if a cat is pregnant 10/07/18
- The best hypoallergenic dog breeds for allergy sufferers 5/07/18
- Our favourite famous dog movies 5/07/18
- How to make friends with your cat (and become their favourite human) 14/05/18
- Running is more fun with your best friend in tow 19/04/18
- Healthy Pet - Happy Pet! 3/04/18