A tribute to Beagles
We are not biased, we love all dogs, but there is a special place in our hearts for those handsome Beagles. With their long soft floppy ears and smooth coats they are perfect to cuddle and play with! These lively and friendly breeds are great as a family pet and let’s face it so cute when they are young. Here are some fun facts about Beagles:
A tail of true Beagles
Did you know that if the tip of a Beagle’s tail isn’t white then they are not considered a true Beagle? This white tip has been selectively bred into the pooch to make it visible when its nose is to the ground (the tail sticks up when it is actively following a scent).
Did you know that Snoopy from the much-loved cartoon Peanuts is a Beagle? (If you are a fan of Snoopy, check out our blog, detailing how we were chosen by movie giant, Twentieth Century Fox, to help promote 'Snoopy & Charlie Brown: The Peanuts Movie'). Grumpy lasagna-loving Garfield the cat also has a love-hate relationship with the adorable slobbery Odie, also a Beagle and Beagles have been well represented in many movies and TV shows such as The Royal Tenbaums, The Wonder Years, Star Trek: Enterprise, The Monster Squad and even Eastenders.
Strong sense of smell
Ever the wanderers by nature because of their highly developed sense of smell, Beagles have been known to have 220 million scent receptors. These are the cells used for smelling that are concentrated in a relatively small area at the back of the nose. By comparison humans have a mere five million! This strong sense of smell contributes to their highly skilled way of hunting, for everything from rabbits and fish to birds.
They used to be really little
We love this! Did you know that the earliest Beagles, were so small you could fit them in your pocket? It wasn’t until much later that they were bred into the big hunting hounds we know in the modern world.
Beagles can be really noisy, often barking and howling. The word Beagle comes from the French 'bee gueule,' meaning 'wide throat,' or when put more gently 'loudmouth’.
Do you have a Beagle? We’d love to see some pics or even hear some more fun facts about them. Share them with us on facebook.com or Twitter. There are lots more Beagle facts online, we liked We Love Beagles and Pawed In.
8 November 2016
- Not all heroes wear capes! Why these top dogs have been nominated for HiLife... 21/01/19
- HiLife’s pawsome pet food range recognised in Grocer’s Top Products Survey 2018 13/12/18
- Top dog friendly holiday rentals for your summer break 20/08/18
- Blood Donor Dogs: Is Your Dog a Canine Hero? 30/07/18
- Is your cat expecting kittens? How to tell if a cat is pregnant 10/07/18
- The best hypoallergenic dog breeds for allergy sufferers 5/07/18
- Our favourite famous dog movies 5/07/18
- How to make friends with your cat (and become their favourite human) 14/05/18
- Running is more fun with your best friend in tow 19/04/18
- Healthy Pet - Happy Pet! 3/04/18