Step AWAY from the doggone chocolate!

Dog carrying gift

Now, we all like a little treat at Easter. Be it a special bar of chocolate, a chocolate bunny, a mini chocolate egg or a full on chocolate-filled, two feet high chocolate egg with chocolate trimmings.

Did we mention the chocolate?

But wait! While you’re “nomming” your way through chocolate heaven, consider your four-legged friend. He may stare at you with pleading eyes with his tongue hanging out, and you may be tempted to sneak him a little nibble, but STOP! Do you know you could be doing him much more harm than good?

According to the RSPCA, chocolate poisoning is the most common type of dog poisoning reported to the Veterinary Poisons Information Service.

“Why?” You may ask… Well, chocolate contains theobromine, a naturally occurring stimulant found in the cocoa bean. The substance increases urination and affects the central nervous system as well as heart muscle. Symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, hyperactivity, high temperature and blood pressure, abnormal heart rhythm and tremors and, in some cases, epileptic fits and even death.

According to veterinary experts, once a dog tastes even a little bit of chocolate, he’s going to crave more. It can mean that your dog will jump at the opportunity to eat any type of chocolate.
The problem is, not all chocolate is the same and different types contain varying amounts of theobromine. So how much is too much? Well, unfortunately, it’s not a simple question to answer and will depend upon the health, age and weight of your dog.
So, our advice would be not to feed your pooch any chocolate, at all, ever. Sorry pooch!

If you want to give your best friend something special to mark Easter, try our HiLife Spoil Me! Pouch dog foods or, if you would prefer to feed him a treat, visit our Chewsday, Special Care or TREAT ME! pages to see a great range of healthy alternatives he will love you for.

Back to top